Anyone just getting to grips with the new social software world should read a typically practical but insightful take from Trevor Cook, who gave a lecture at the University of Sydney on Managing issues in a new media environment. His 'five takeout points' were:
- Think networks not audiences
- Focus on information flows, not 'news'
- Educate your key stakeholders
- Get stakeholders involved, build relationships (the essence of PR)
- Use the technology if you want to understand it
Read it...! If I were a practitioner who wanted to understand what is happening beneath the hype and wanted a steady source of ideas that might actually build a business I would bookmark two sites - Trevor's Corporate Engagement and Stuart Bruce's Musings.